Friday, January 23, 2009

Why Chickens?

I told you I'd explain soon why we have chickens in our backyard, right? Well, the whole story begins in our now 7 yr old's Kindergarten class. They conducted a scientific experiment to see how eggs incubate, then hatch.

I'd known about the experiment and was happy to see them all hatch on the last day of school before Easter break last year. However, what I didn't know is that Jeff had secretly told the teacher we'd take some - if not all 10 - of them home once they'd hatched. You see, I've been talking about wanting to raise chickens forever but Jeff would just shake his head and laugh. So on this last day of school before break, Jeff totally surprised me and said that 3 of those cute little things were coming home with us. He'd even already gone out and bought all the needed supplies!

Well, skip ahead a few weeks. Two of those cute little puffs grew up and became loud, crowing roosters, much to my dismay. What most people don't realize is that roosters crow all..day..long, not just in the morning like they show in cute children's books. Also, most people don't want a loud, crowing rooster, even if he's "free to a good home!", so....let's just say they're in a "better place" now.

Well, that left us with only 1 hen. Chickens need company so I had to get another one, and it's recommended to get day-old chicks in pairs so they have a buddy to grow up with. I settled on the Rhode Island Red as they have a good reputation for being friendly and good layers. Then, a few weeks later, I saw a picture of a Barred Plymouth Rock online, another very popular chicken variety. They were so different with their black and white stripes, I knew I needed 1 - well, make that 2, remember?

And that is why....we have chickens in our backyard!

No comments:

Post a Comment